In case other kinds of burnt offerings are relevant, Kathryn Gleason writes:

For the remains of burnt offerings in gardens, see Mark Robinson, Domestic burnt offerings and sacrifices at Roman and pre-Roman Pompeii, Italy, Veget Hist Archaeobot (2002) 11:93–99.  These were within houses, but as we have gardens associated with tombs, it is theoretically possible that such deposits could be found in association with offerings made at the tomb.

Feel free to post!

Kathy

Naomi F. Miller, Consulting Scholar

Near East Section

University of Pennsylvania Museum

3260 South Street

Philadelphia, PA 19104

tel.: 215.898.4075; email: [log in to unmask]

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~nmiller0/