Dear Kelly

Over the last couple of years I've gathered several references related to archaeobotanical analysis in funerary Roman contexts (as well as other periods). I'm currently studying the samples from the largest Roman funerary complex found in Portugal (the necropolis of Via XVII in Bracara Augusta - Braga), comprising over 200 burials, as the main site of my PhD thesis. Unfortunately, there are very few Roman funerary contexts which underwent archaeobotanical analysis in the Iberian Peninsula.

Here follows the list of the most relevant references I've found but feel free to contact me for further references.

- Popova, T., Hristova, H., 2017. Trees of eternity-Pinus pinea L. in daily life, rituals, religion and symbolism. Archaeobotanical evidence from the territory of Bulgaria. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports.
- Lodwick, L., Brindle, T., Allen, M., Durham, E., Smith, A., 2015. Identifying ritual deposition of plant remains: a case study of stone pine cones in Roman Britain, Brindle, T. Allen, M., Durham, E. and Smith, A.(eds.), TRAC 2014: Proceedings of the Twenty-Fourth Annual Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference. Oxford: Oxbow, pp. 54-69.
- Cerezo-Román, J.I., Williams, H., 2014. Future directions for the archaeology of cremation. Transformation by fire: The archaeology of cremation in cultural context, 240-255.
- Deforce, K., Haneca, K., 2012. Ashes to ashes. Fuelwood selection in Roman cremation rituals in northern Gaul. Journal of Archaeological Science 39, 1338-1348.
- Gonçalves, D., Duarte, C., Costa, C., Muralha, J., Campanacho, V., Costa, A.M., Angelucci, D.E., 2010. The roman cremation burials of Encosta de Sant’Ana (Lisbon).
- Figueiral, I., Fabre, L., Bel, V., 2010. Considerations on the nature and origin of wood-fuel from gallo-roman cremations in the Languedoc region (Southern France). Quaternaire. Revue de l'Association française pour l'étude du Quaternaire 21, 325-331.
- Weekes, J., 2008. Classification and Analysis of Archaeological Contexts for the Reconstruction of Early Romano-British Cremation Funerals. Britannia 39, 145-160.
- Matterne, V., Derreumaux, M., 2008. A Franco-Italian investigation of funerary rituals in the Roman world, “les rites et la mort à Pompéi”, the plant part: a preliminary report. Veget Hist Archaeobot 17, 105-112.
- Preiss, S., Matterne, V., Latron, F., 2005. An approach to funerary rituals in the Roman provinces: plant remains from a Gallo-Roman cemetery at Faulquemont (Moselle, France). Veget Hist Archaeobot 14, 362-372.
- Williams, H., 2004. Death Warmed up: The Agency of Bodies and Bones in Early Anglo-Saxon Cremation Rites. Journal of Material Culture 9, 263-291.
- Zach, B., 2002. Vegetable offerings on the Roman sacrificial site in Mainz, Germany – short report on the first results. Veget Hist Archaeobot 11, 101-106.
- Noy, D., 2000. ‘Half-burnt on an Emergency Pyre ‘: Roman Cremations which Went Wrong. Greece and Rome (Second Series) 47, 186-196.
- Kreuz, A., 2000. Functional and conceptual archaeobotanical data from Roman cremations. Pearce J., Millett M. & Struck M. Burial, Society and Context in the Roman World. Oxbow Books, 45-51.
- Thompson, T.J.U., Szigeti, J., Gowland, R.L., Witcher, R.E., Death on the frontier: Military cremation practices in the north of Roman Britain. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports.

Best regards,
Filipe

--
Filipe M. Costa Vaz
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Filipe_Costa_Vaz

PhD Fellow
FCT - Foundation for Science and Technology
Environmental Archaeology - ENVARCH - CIBIO - University of Porto
InBIO - Research Network in Biodiversity and Evolutionary Biology (Associated Laboratory)
CIBIO-UP - Research Center In Biodiversity and Genetic Resources - University of Porto

- Campus Agrário de Vairão, Rua Padre Armando Quintas, nº 7, 4485-661 Vairão, Portugal
- Museu da Universidade do Porto, Sala 2.21, Universidade do Porto, Praça Gomes Teixeira
, 4099-002 - Porto, Portugal