Dear Kelly

Over the last couple of years I've gathered several references related to
archaeobotanical analysis in funerary Roman contexts (as well as other
periods). I'm currently studying the samples from the largest Roman
funerary complex found in Portugal (the necropolis of Via XVII in Bracara
Augusta - Braga), comprising over 200 burials, as the main site of my PhD
thesis. Unfortunately, there are very few Roman funerary contexts which
underwent archaeobotanical analysis in the Iberian Peninsula.

Here follows the list of the most relevant references I've found but feel
free to contact me for further references.

- Popova, T., Hristova, H., 2017. Trees of eternity-Pinus pinea L. in daily
life, rituals, religion and symbolism. Archaeobotanical evidence from the
territory of Bulgaria. Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports.
- Lodwick, L., Brindle, T., Allen, M., Durham, E., Smith, A., 2015.
Identifying ritual deposition of plant remains: a case study of stone pine
cones in Roman Britain, Brindle, T. Allen, M., Durham, E. and Smith,
A.(eds.), TRAC 2014: Proceedings of the Twenty-Fourth Annual Theoretical
Roman Archaeology Conference. Oxford: Oxbow, pp. 54-69.
- Cerezo-Román, J.I., Williams, H., 2014. Future directions for the
archaeology of cremation. Transformation by fire: The archaeology of
cremation in cultural context, 240-255.
- Deforce, K., Haneca, K., 2012. Ashes to ashes. Fuelwood selection in
Roman cremation rituals in northern Gaul. Journal of Archaeological Science
39, 1338-1348.
- Gonçalves, D., Duarte, C., Costa, C., Muralha, J., Campanacho, V., Costa,
A.M., Angelucci, D.E., 2010. The roman cremation burials of Encosta de
Sant’Ana (Lisbon).
- Figueiral, I., Fabre, L., Bel, V., 2010. Considerations on the nature and
origin of wood-fuel from gallo-roman cremations in the Languedoc region
(Southern France). Quaternaire. Revue de l'Association française pour
l'étude du Quaternaire 21, 325-331.
- Weekes, J., 2008. Classification and Analysis of Archaeological Contexts
for the Reconstruction of Early Romano-British Cremation Funerals.
Britannia 39, 145-160.
- Matterne, V., Derreumaux, M., 2008. A Franco-Italian investigation of
funerary rituals in the Roman world, “les rites et la mort à Pompéi”, the
plant part: a preliminary report. Veget Hist Archaeobot 17, 105-112.
- Preiss, S., Matterne, V., Latron, F., 2005. An approach to funerary
rituals in the Roman provinces: plant remains from a Gallo-Roman cemetery
at Faulquemont (Moselle, France). Veget Hist Archaeobot 14, 362-372.
- Williams, H., 2004. Death Warmed up: The Agency of Bodies and Bones in
Early Anglo-Saxon Cremation Rites. Journal of Material Culture 9, 263-291.
- Zach, B., 2002. Vegetable offerings on the Roman sacrificial site in
Mainz, Germany – short report on the first results. Veget Hist Archaeobot
11, 101-106.
- Noy, D., 2000. ‘Half-burnt on an Emergency Pyre ‘: Roman Cremations which
Went Wrong. Greece and Rome (Second Series) 47, 186-196.
- Kreuz, A., 2000. Functional and conceptual archaeobotanical data from
Roman cremations. Pearce J., Millett M. & Struck M. Burial, Society and
Context in the Roman World. Oxbow Books, 45-51.
- Thompson, T.J.U., Szigeti, J., Gowland, R.L., Witcher, R.E., Death on the
frontier: Military cremation practices in the north of Roman Britain.
Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports.

Best regards,
Filipe

--
*Filipe M. Costa Vaz*
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Filipe_Costa_Vaz

PhD Fellow FCT - Foundation for Science and Technology

*Environmental Archaeology - ENVARCH - CIBIO - University of Porto*

*InBIO - Research Network in Biodiversity and Evolutionary
Biology (Associated Laboratory)CIBIO-UP - Research Center In Biodiversity
and Genetic Resources - University of Porto*

- Campus Agrário de Vairão, Rua Padre Armando Quintas, nº 7, 4485-661
Vairão, Portugal
- Museu da Universidade do Porto, Sala 2.21, Universidade do Porto, Praça
Gomes Teixeira, 4099-002 - Porto, Portugal