Hi Richard. Looking back to my days at the BM, our policy was very similar to Denise’s. Lending institutions provided images well in advance and derivatives would be made for the different uses. We offered the same service when lending objects ourselves, chiefly due to copyright and security issues.

On occasions when the provided image did not meet our standards we would seek express permission to re-photograph the object and the loans manager would sort out the paperwork. This was almost always done in the presence of a curator from the lenders and between unpacking and installation so the catalogue would have long gone by that time.

Regards.

Ivor.

This message comes from...

Ivor Kerslake