From: MariaLuisa Langella [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 11 July 2017 15:57
To: Onsite
Subject: Volunteering opportunities at the MEC library in Oxford

Dear Madam, or Sir,

My name is MariaLuisa Langella and I work as Librarian at the Middle East Centre (MEC), St Antony's College in Oxford.
The MEC is a postgraduate centre of the University of Oxford which provides training for MSt, MPhil and DPhil students in all subjects related to the modern Middle East. Our library was established about 60 years ago with the aim of catering for the needs of these students. In addition to our postgraduate students, we are open to the whole Oxford academic community, made up of researchers, undergraduate students and people from the general public who have an interest in the Middle East.
Our collection includes about 40,000 volumes of books and periodicals in English and European languages, but also in Arabic, Persian, Turkish and Hebrew, covering all aspects of the history, culture and politics of the Middle East from the 18th century to the present.
I am currently looking into creating internships and more generally volunteering opportunities to allow students in library and information science to experience the hectic life of an Oxford University library, to see how we work in close connection with the Bodleian library, and hopefully to have a glimpse of college life. I am also very happy to welcome volunteers on a short-term basis who are interested in getting some library experience.

I am writing to ask you whether you have any information and/or advice on the above. For example, are there any library information training courses/diplomas which require an internship in an academic library and which I could get in touch with? Would you know of any other scheme or institution in which such internships/volunteering opportunities would fit?

Thank you so much in advance for any help and advice on all the above.

Kind regards,
MariaLuisa

MariaLuisa Langella, PhD
Librarian, The Middle East Centre (MEC)
St Antony's College
68 Woodstock Road
OXFORD OX2 6JF, UK

Tel. +44 (0)1865 284764
Fax +44 (0)1865 274529
Email [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

http://www.sant.ox.ac.uk/research-centres/middle-east-centre/middle-east-centre-mec-library
"St Antony's College is a registered charity (number 1141293)."

[cid:image001.png@01D0F15E.91B80340]                [meccrest-small (3)]

http://www.mailguard.com.au