We have similar signs in Towcester and I can now fairly confidently date
the Victorian ones to 1897-1898. An article in the Leeds Mercury dated the
24th September 1897 explains how underground telegraph cables were being
laid between London and Birmingham. These electric cables were being laid
in 2" diameter tubes at a depth of 2.5 feet. Each cable comprised 76 copper
wires insulated from each other by paper. Being underground they would not
be damaged by falling trees etc. Laying the cables was a very time
consuming business and by the September only 30 miles of tubing and 25
miles of cable had be laid. It was expected that the cable would be in use
in 1898. It was considered that the telegraphic cables would augment the
telephonic cables being put up between London, Birmingham, Manchester &
Liverpool.

Brian Giggins