Hi Alex, I don't think I would trust it - just checked 4 sub-adult (distal unfused) R. norv. and they have it as well as all the adults, the paper says it is common in very old but safe for 'juveniles' whatever that means, so unless you have very young rats it seems not so good. The proportions of R.r are usually more slim for same length of femur, caput size smaller and other very subtle differences so you might be able to suggest which based on observations of a good range of specimens but I would be very cautious especially if no cranial available.
Sheila
SH-D ArchaeoZoology
http://www.shd-archzoo.co.uk