Dear colleagues,

Many thanks for all your responses. I have compiled all in the text below.

In a week when students have been sitting A levels and GCSE examinations and with many teachers raising concerns about the level of difficulty in the exams (especially AQA), and with the stats on exam entries out
(see here if you want to get depressed: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/619387/Summer_2017_exam_entries_GCSEs_AS_and_A_levels_in_England.pdf),
it seems timely to remind everybody that teachers and students need our support. One quote from a teacher “We really need the help of Universities to help counterbalance the constant push for STEM subjects at the expense of everything else!” I have also forwarded the list below to the teacher who approached me with the questions.

Best wishes, Silke Mentchen

Compilation of responses as of 18. June 2017

Number of hours:

2 hours/week is too little [or 4/fortnight]

 There was general agreement that this provision was too little.

 In “The Student Room” (an internet forum) the answer was:

“between 4 and 4.5 hours/week per A level subject” – but the answers were general and not for languages specifically.

 AQA say: 360 hours for A level. But they do not give recommendations re hours/week. see: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/languages/AQA-MFL-AS-A-FAQ.PDF

 Schools teach on 190 days per year (38 weeks). For the 2-year A-level course, that’s 76 weeks. 360 hours divided by 76 is 4.74. It seems that 4.5 hours/week is the recommended norm.

 [“GCSE: We recommend two to (ideally) three hours per week of teaching time, spread over frequent lessons of between 40 – 60 minutes duration. A GCSE course should have at least 10% of curriculum time.” TSC Review, see here: https://www.tscouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/MFL-Pedagogy-Review-Report-2.pdf]

 From a group on "Language Learning Framework Project” (which looks at hours needed within the CEFR context):

“2,5-3 contact hours per week for A1/A2/B1, with a slight increase in self-study hours for B1.  I would group A-Level as a B1 qualification. Without taking into account self-study time, a cut of hours as you mention seems to more or less implicate a reduction of contact hours from 3 to 2 hours, i.e. below what our chart would recommend. For B2 we do recommend more contact hours (3,75 - 4,5), which fits with the practice that quite often B2 is split in two modules in many UWLP [=University Wide Language Programs] programs.”

Reasons for more than one language:

“One argument for studying more than one language is, for me, that not all languages are equal, and nor are all language learners. I very much wanted to learn German specifically when I was younger; I did a degree in both French and German, but my heart was always in the latter. So to offer 'just' French and allow those who don't enjoy French to then say that they are 'no good at languages' really isn't good enough. Some students will also want to go on to study subjects where (at least) a reading knowledge of German will be a major advantage - a historian friend of mine is frequently shocked by students wanting to take Masters / PhDs in history, wanting to research the Third Reich (of course...) or the GDR, but without the ability to read the original sources.”

 ”I think it is really important to offer more than one language as it gives students who have not "clicked" with the first one a second chance. Also we need some students to study 2 at GCSE and A-level so that they can go on to be our future language teachers!”

 Suggestions:

Linking German with the world of work. Example: http://englisch-oldenburg.de/ol-work-experience/

 The importance of School Exchanges were mentioned several times while at the same time it was pointed out that organising them had become very difficult.

 Further Resources mentioned:

https://www.routesintolanguages.ac.uk/

http://www.relocatemagazine.com/news/language-german-tops-list-of-requested-languages-in-uk-job-ads

 Facebook Group “Teaching German” - a very useful resource.

 http://englisch-oldenburg.de/john-trim-memorial-library/

 Soon to be published: Article by Martin Durrell in “Deutsch als Fremdsprache” on teaching German in English schools.

 Events coming up at King’s London:

 http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/filmstudies/eventrecords/16-17/World-Cultures-Global-Futures-Summer-School.aspx

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/german/pdf/World-Cultures-Global-Futures-Summer-School.pdf