Dear Jimbo and Jon,

That's right, a full treatment of 4D files in SPM is available here:
  https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/SPM/Working_with_4D_data
Note that instead of having to explicitly enter the number of frames to
be displayed in the interface (eg 1:300), you can enter Inf such that
all available frames are displayed. You can also enter NaN: in this
case, you can select 4D files as a whole and most SPM functions should
later expand the selected file to use all frames.

Best regards,
Guillaume.

--
Guillaume Flandin, PhD