Dear David

it depends on the type of connectivity measure that you want to apply.
If it's DCM, then you don't need to reconstruct the activity at the
sources, since the transfer function is part of the DCM itself.
Otherwise, there are several algorithms, and everyone has their favourite
recipe. The two main families are the lcmv/beamformer and the loreta/wmne.
If you want to stick with matlab environment, spm, eeglab and fieldtrip
have all valid source reconstruction methods.
SIFT is a eeglab toolbox specialized for connectivity at the source level
https://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/SIFT
Otherwise you may want to try MNE, in python
https://www.martinos.org/mne/stable/index.html

p.s. I don't want to be a party pooper but there's no free lunch in source
reconstruction connectivity. Unfortunately there's some inevitable mixing
when the activity propagates to the scalp, that cannot be undone. These
effects go from negligible to dramatic.

best regards

d.