Hi there, James,

I'm not going to answer your question in full, but this: I think it is
essential that such a unit is located in a part of the university that is
accessible to as many academic staff as possible - so that they can just
pop in to access your services. In most universities, I think, this would
NOT be in a central services/admin building. Certainly not (as my unit was)
round the corner from the VC ...

That's my tuppence worth 😊

Ruth