From : [log in to unmask]
Date : 22/05/2017 - 07:28 (GMTST)
To : [log in to unmask]
Subject : master thesis in one-year programs

Dear all,

We notice that students following a one-year master program (60 ECTS) have difficulties finishing their master thesis in time, taking into account that it has to be of a sufficiently high academic level. Our programs try to cope with this problem by for example accelerating the choosing of a master thesis subject. This allows students to immediately start working at their master thesis from the first weeks of the academic year on.

We are now looking for alternative solutions to make it possible for students to deliver a decent master thesis on time (i.e. within the scope of a one-year master program). Has anyone addressed this issue at their institution, experienced with alternative forms for the master thesis to cope with this problem and/or encountered any literature on the topic that might give inspiration?

Many thanks in advance.

Steven Huyghe

Steven Huyghe, Ph.D.

Educational Development Unit