Hi Tracy
You might take a look at the work of Anthony Bryk.
https://www.carnegiefoundation.org/who-we-are/staff-directory/anthony-s-bryk/

As well as David Yeager. I've attached a document that was written as a White House Briefing that includes some evidence for how short illustrations can really help students open up to the possibility that with application comes improvement.

There is a recent paper from Yeager and Dweck that borrows heavily from the sort of foundational work advocated by Bryk.
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797615571017
Inline images 1

Senior Teaching Fellow in Physiology
School of Physiology, Pharmacology and Neuroscience
Faculty of Biomedical Sciences
University of Bristol
Room D9, Biomedical Sciences Building
University Walk
Bristol, BS8 1TD
Office: +44 117 33 12296

A top 5 UK university with leading employers (2015)
A top 5 UK university for research (2014 REF)
A world top 40 university (QS Ranking 2015)