Hello Alice, and list

I can pass on some anecdotal stuff from Maths and similar which has been
mentioned to me occasionally: plagiarism is often undifferentiable from
collusion, and is only really detectable when mistakes are made during
the working-out because those are more identifiable and therefore
suspicious.

This has the effect of meaning that the only logical way to cheat is to
do it really well, which means students have to work out how to do the
maths properly -- maths which they're already struggling with (you see
the paradox). Off the record, I've been told that just as essay subjects
worry about essay mills being undetectable, they sometimes worry that
clusters of almost perfect marks in coursework may indicate a social
group with one or two excellent mathematicians happy to help others
rather than a group of independently excellent mathematicians. But they
shrug and say this is why they retain exams alongside coursework, and
why the majority of the assessment should remain exam-based.

Looking forward to seeing your results, though. I'll ask around in
relevant disciplines to see if I can get any more bits and pieces.

Cheers

Dr Jason P Davies
Interim Director, [UCL
Arena](https://www.ucl.ac.uk/teaching-learning/professional-development)
[UCL Arena Centre for Research-Based
Education](www.ucl.ac.uk/teaching-learning/about-us/arena-centre)
(formerly CALT)
10th Floor, 1-19 Torrington Place, London, WC1E 7HB
[@JasonPtrDavies](https://twitter.com/JasonPtrDavies)

Visit the [UCL Teaching and Learning
Portal](www.ucl.ac.uk/teaching-learning)

[![](https://www.ucl.ac.uk/teaching-learning/sites/teaching-learning/files/styles/non_responsive/public/migrated-images/arena_1.jpg?itok=7BDobgEP)](https://www.ucl.ac.uk/teaching-learning/professional-development)