Better an hour of of joyful, insightful learning than nine days of drudgery... what that hour consists of though will depend upon what makes learning joyful, challenging and pertinent for your particular cohort and their students; unfortunately by the time you've found out, your time may be up.

Interesting provocative question,

Sean
________________________________
From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Ellis, Sam [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 17 May 2017 10:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The bare bones of your PGCAP

Hello colleagues,

Last week I was at the SEDA spring conference in Manchester. I attended Pam Parker’s thought-provoking session on conceptualising ‘teaching excellence’, during which I shared the following vignette:

“We’re about to make some structural changes to our PgC LTHE. I was chatting about this to a colleague [a lecturer in broadcast journalism], who said to me, ‘Imagine that instead of being eighteen months long, you needed to deliver your whole programme in one hour. What topics would you teach? What would be on your syllabus?’ I sat and thought about this for about ten minutes, before replying that I would spend half an hour on x and half an hour on y.”

I thought that this was a useful question. Now, I’m not going to reveal my x and y to you, because after the session Steve Outram suggested that I put the same question to the whole community, and then offer a write-up of your responses to Educational Developments.

An excellent idea! Here, then, is a one-question survey<https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/DNBRT6C> which invites you to share the topics you would place on the syllabus of a one-hour PGCAP. I look forward to reading your responses (for which thanks in advance).

All best,

Sam

Sam Ellis BA MPhil MA PhD SFHEA
Senior Lecturer in Academic Development
Department of Academic Quality and Development
M301J (George Moore)
T: +44 (0)141 331 8203 | E: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Glasgow Caledonian University | Cowcaddens Road | Glasgow | G4 0BA