My tuppence worth would be to add that there's also a more conceptual space that needs to be occupied as well, which takes us to the battle of ideas about what Ed Dev actually is. And this may vary from institution to institution because of how terms are understood. For example, if the Quality office deals mainly with compliance and assurance I'd get out of that space as quickly as possible. On the other hand, creating a highly academic unit might be good in some respects but might also alienate those who want a more Boyeristic conception of the scholarship of engagement. Also, from personal experience, it doesn't always pay to locate a centre in an education school, particularly if that school is known for its primary and secondary teacher training, as this might alienate the historians and engineers etc, who may feel that they are being teacher trained rather than supported in academic practice.

Sorry, that ended up as a shilling's worth.

Best

John

John Lea

Sent from my iPhone