Dear all

My colleague Dr Ciaran Burke and I are proposing an edited collection looking at disability and research.  We have presented the initial concept/focus of the edited booked to the BSA Sociological Futures book series editor and they have been very supportive toward the proposal and have invited us to submit a full application. We would like to invite abstracts for proposed chapters to the book.

The text will explore the empirical process from the perspective and experience of the disabled researcher.  We argue that stemming from Durkheim's concern with giving sociological research legitimacy, research methods that come with a strict set of rules of procedures to preserve the rigour of the research, are in fact disabling.  Such rules make a number of assumptions concerning the perceived ability of the researcher.

As a companion to texts examining research processes with disabled respondents, we want to provide a resource for disabled researchers that considers how we can navigate the rules and procedures of social research methods, whilst retaining the scientific rigour of the chosen method. We also wish to consider the consequences that can arise from disabled researchers' attempts at "passing" and the benefits that can emerge from a reflexive approach to method.

To this end we envisage an edited collection that encompasses contributions from disabled researchers both within and beyond the disability studies field, reflecting the fact that disabled scholars may not necessarily work on disability issues. Examples of issues that may be considered include physical and communicational barriers inherent in some research processes, the disjuncture between need for adjustments to carry out 'good quality research' and availability of resources, implications for researcher identity, and disclosure of disability to research participants. There may of course be many other issues that warrant consideration.

If you are interested, please send through a 250 word abstract to Bronagh at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> by 5th May

Best wishes
Bronagh Byrne (Queen's University Belfast) and Ciaran Burke (Ulster University)

Dr Bronagh Byrne
Programme Director (Social Policy) | Lecturer in Social Policy | School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work
School Disability Adviser (Undergraduate)

Queen's University Belfast
Room G.004 | 6 College Park | Belfast | BT7 1LP
www.qub.ac.uk/schools/ssesw<http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/ssesw>
Undergraduate Office: 6 College Park, BT7 1LP | Postgraduate Office: 69/71 University Street, BT7 1HL | Open Learning Office: 20 College Green, BT7 1LN

Co-Director, Centre for Children's Rights: www.qub.ac.uk/ccr<http://www.qub.ac.uk/ccr>
Co-Chair Disability Research Network<http://www.qub.ac.uk/research-centres/DisabilityResearchNetwork/>  |  Follow us on Twitter: @QUB_DRN