This may be of interest to some of the CAS community

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Spurling, Nicola <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 20 April 2017 at 13:26
Subject: Making Everyday Futures Workshop
To: [log in to unmask]

Please find below a call for expressions of interest for the Everyday Futures Network Summer Workshop, this year hosted by the Wearable Senses Lab, Eindhoven University of Technology, 10th-12th July 2017.

For more information please visit: http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/everydayfutures/workshop-two/

Best wishes

Nicola Spurling & Lenneke Kuijer

Co-convenors, Everyday Futures Network.

Call for Expressions of interest

Making Everyday Futures
Everyday Futures Network, Summer Workshop

13:00h, 10 July 2017 - 12 July 2017 15:00h
Industrial Design Department, Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands.

We invite Expressions of Interest from across the disciplines for participation in this hands-on workshop in which we will jointly experience and develop methods of making as a way of doing research.

The workshop is based on three propositions: that future everyday life is certain to be different from today; that making and deploying new artefacts forms a distinct approach to exploring and developing knowledge about this future and how it gets made; that even though futures might require and witness systemic change, it is in altered everyday lives that such change is realised and experienced. Making and deploying provides a way to research possible and preferable futures, through asking ‘what if…?’ with design research artefacts.

Taking close to the body artefacts as our focus, participants will work in pairs (with one experienced maker in each) to turn their everyday futures research interests into a ‘research artefact’ with resources and expertise from the Wearable Senses Lab, Department of Industrial Design, Eindhoven.

By experiencing this process, and engaging in interdisciplinary conversations, we will critically engage with the workshop theme of making everyday futures from our diverse interests and disciplinary perspectives. To ensure learning and debate, we actively encourage participation from across the disciplines including future studies, history, sociology, design, philosophy, STS, architecture, arts, anthropology, urban planning, geography, and more. Participants are expected to contribute to the workshop’s activities and bring ‘making’ to bear on their various areas of interest and expertise.

The workshop process and products will be documented in a photographic exhibition. Following the workshop the pairs will write blogposts of 800-1000 words reflecting on the experience of making, and from their interests and disciplinary perspectives.

Costs
The workshop and materials, refreshments and an evening meal are covered by the workshop organisers. Participants will pay for their own travel, accommodation, lunches and additional subsistence.

Expressions of interest

As the places are limited, we request 400 word expressions of interest, outlining your research interests, how they relate to Everyday Futures, and what you hope to get from the Workshop. These should be emailed to [log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]  by 10th May 2017.  We will get in touch by 26th May to let you know if we can offer you a place.

Lenneke Kuijer, Dept of Industrial Design, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands

Nicola Spurling, Institute for Social Futures, Lancaster University, UK.

The workshop is organised as part of the Everyday Futures Network http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/everydayfutures/ in collaboration with the ArcInTexETN Summer School http://www.arcintexetn.eu/, and supported by The Industrial Design Department, Eindhoven University of Technology and The Institute for Social Futures, Lancaster University.

Nicola Spurling

Lecturer in the Theories and Methods of Social Futures,

Co-convenor Everyday Futures Network http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/everydayfutures/

Institute for Social Futures and Department of Sociology

B20 Bowland North, Lancaster University, LA1 4YD

01524 592467

http://www.nicolaspurling.com Twitter: @NicolaSpurling

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/social-futures/

--