This may be of interest to some of the CAS community

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Spurling, Nicola <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 20 April 2017 at 13:26
Subject: Making Everyday Futures Workshop
To: [log in to unmask]

Please find below a call for expressions of interest for the Everyday
Futures Network Summer Workshop, this year hosted by the Wearable Senses
Lab, Eindhoven University of Technology, 10th-12th July 2017.

For more information please visit: http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/
everydayfutures/workshop-two/

Best wishes

Nicola Spurling & Lenneke Kuijer

Co-convenors, Everyday Futures Network.

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

Call for Expressions of interest

*Making Everyday Futures **Everyday Futures Network, Summer Workshop*

*13:00h, 10 July 2017 - 12 July 2017 15:00h Industrial Design Department,
Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands. *

We invite Expressions of Interest from across the disciplines for
participation in this hands-on workshop in which we will jointly experience
and develop methods of making as a way of doing research.

The workshop is based on three propositions: that future everyday life is
certain to be different from today; that making and deploying new artefacts
forms a distinct approach to exploring and developing knowledge about this
future and how it gets made; that even though futures might require and
witness systemic change, it is in altered everyday lives that such change
is realised and experienced. Making and deploying provides a way to
research possible and preferable futures, through asking ‘what if…?’ with
design research artefacts.

Taking close to the body artefacts
<https://muxjournal.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s13678-016-0006-z> as
our focus, participants will work in pairs (with one experienced maker in
each) to turn their everyday futures research interests into a ‘research
artefact’ with resources and expertise from the Wearable Senses Lab
<https://pure.tue.nl/ws/files/3970370/712906628005993.pdf>, Department of
Industrial Design, Eindhoven.

By experiencing this process, and engaging in interdisciplinary
conversations, we will critically engage with the workshop theme of making
everyday futures from our diverse interests and disciplinary perspectives.
To ensure learning and debate, we actively encourage participation from
across the disciplines including future studies, history, sociology,
design, philosophy, STS, architecture, arts, anthropology, urban planning,
geography, and more. Participants are expected to contribute to the
workshop’s activities and bring ‘making’ to bear on their various areas of
interest and expertise.

The workshop process and products will be documented in a photographic
exhibition. Following the workshop the pairs will write blogposts of
800-1000 words reflecting on the experience of making, and from their
interests and disciplinary perspectives.

*Costs *The workshop and materials, refreshments and an evening meal are
covered by the workshop organisers. Participants will pay for their own
travel, accommodation, lunches and additional subsistence.

*Expressions of interest*

As the places are limited, we request 400 word expressions of interest,
outlining your research interests, how they relate to Everyday Futures, and
what you hope to get from the Workshop. These should be emailed to
[log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]  by 10th May 2017.  We
will get in touch by 26th May to let you know if we can offer you a place.

Lenneke Kuijer, Dept of Industrial Design, Eindhoven University of
Technology, The Netherlands

Nicola Spurling, Institute for Social Futures, Lancaster University, UK.

The workshop is organised as part of the Everyday Futures Network
http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/everydayfutures/ in collaboration with the
ArcInTexETN Summer School http://www.arcintexetn.eu/, and supported by The
Industrial Design Department, Eindhoven University of Technology and The
Institute for Social Futures, Lancaster University.

Nicola Spurling

Lecturer in the Theories and Methods of Social Futures,

Co-convenor Everyday Futures Network http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/everydayfutures/

Institute for Social Futures and Department of Sociology

B20 Bowland North, Lancaster University, LA1 4YD

01524 592467

http:// <http://nicolaspurling.wordpress.com/>www.nicolaspurling.com Twitter:
@NicolaSpurling

http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/social-futures/