Hi Meg,

The Biblical symbolism is fairly obvious as illustrations of Old and New
Testament texts. It compares well with contemporary artwork in illustrated
manuscripts. To get a grasp of the non-biblical images like zodiacs,
astrolabes, sirens and geometrical stuff you need to look at the texts of
Natural Philosophy that the scholars of the period were reading and
writing. So look to Boethius, Macrobius, Capella, Plato (Timaeus), Euclid
and all the sources that fed into the study of the *quadrivium.*

The best introduction I've found to the natural philosophy of the period is
Peter Ellard's* A Sacred Cosmos. *See also Edouard Jeauneau's *Rethinking
the School of Chartres *and his *Lectio Philosophorum. *

I think you also need to consider that rhetorical devices used by students
of the *trivium* were applied also to the visual and touchable forms of
expression found in the sculpture and glass of the cathedrals. I
think there is no device more important than what they called the
*integument. *The best source I've found on that is Winthrop
Wetherbee's *Platonism
and Poetry in the Twelfth Century: The Literary Influence of the School of
Chartres.*

I've posted some draft papers (with lots of pictures) touching on many of
these issues as they relate to Chartres. Many primary and secondary sources
are listed.
See: http://independent.academia.edu/RichardJLegault

As for sunlight entering certain windows, my hands-down favorite is what
happens on the floor of Vézelay Abbey around noon on the summer solstice.
See image at: http://www.bacimu.be/users/alistair

Cheers,

Richard J Legault