Madeleine Gray wrote:

> Though Experience of Worship was (deliberately) rather later liturgical
> developments (John Harper actually went for 1530s, partly because of
> availability of more standardised printed Sarum rites).
>     Worth remembering (and this does come over in the Experience of Worship
> enactments) how much of the actual order of the Mass was said quietly while
> others were singing.

Bits being "said quietly while others were singing" does indeed seem to be a
later development. Moreover, the whole idea of anything being "said quietly" or
silently seems to be a misunderstanding: the whole point was that anything that
needed to be heard must be sung (intoned or chanted) in order to be heard.
Anything else could be said. This gave rise to the idea that the said parts
weren't supposed to be heard at all! Similarly, the idea that the priest said
the whole thing "quietly while others were singing" seems to have come across
from the private mass where the priest did indeed say the whole thing.

John Briggs