From: Race & Ethnicity Study Group (BSA) List [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Iyiola Solanke [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 March 2017 13:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [BSA-RACE] Black female professors in the UK - Feb 2017

Dear All,

As promised, please find attached a document listing Black Female Professors in the UK. I hope that you are excited to see it - especially because there are many more than 18 names on it.

The list is incomplete - the February version will be updated as additional names are sent and redistributed in March.

Those on the list are agreed that this is a document that should be shared widely, for professional and pedagogical purposes. Please do send to your colleagues and managers, especially if you are in an institution that is not listed.

If it saves you time, I have drafted below a short text that can be sent or used as a basis for your own letter to HR/ E & D managers & VCs (thanks to Claire Alexander for the idea):

"Dear ...

In response to a recent query raised on the British Sociological Association Race Forum, Professor Iyiola Solanke at the University of Leeds has created a list of Black Women Professors in the UK. I am attaching the most recent version, which contains 55 names.

The initial aim of the list was simply to identify Black women professors in the UK, as their existence and location was largely unknown. However, the immediate interest and support of those contacted made clear the need for something more that could fulfil professional and pedagogical aims. Professional aims include the creation of a Network of Black Women Professors who can both support each other and contribute in a systematic way to national and institutional policies on Faculty and Student diversity in HEI's. Pedagogical aims include the creation of a visible platform to encourage, mentor and inspire younger Black women who are in, or entering, the Academy.

This list of names is therefore just a beginning of what we hope will become an active national network. In order to ensure that it contains as many Black Women Professors as possible, I would be grateful if you could contact Black women colleagues here, to see if they would like to be included. If so, please ask them to contact me or Professor Iyiola Solanke at [log in to unmask]"

Happy reading!,
Iyiola

Professor Iyiola Solanke
Chair of EU Law and Social Justice

This Email list is maintained by the BSA Race & Ethnicity Study Group.  Visit the BSA website for further information about the group: https://www.britsoc.co.uk/groups/study-groups/race-ethnicity-study-group/