Social Justice in an Age of Datafication: Launching the Data Justice Lab

Friday 17 March, 4pm

Cardiff University, UK

Our financial transactions, communications, movements, relationships, and interactions with government and corporations all increasingly generate data that are used to profile and sort groups and individuals. These processes can affect both individuals as well as entire communities that may be denied services and access to opportunities, or wrongfully targeted and exploited. In short, they impact on our ability to participate in society. The emergence of this data paradigm therefore introduces a particular set of power dynamics requiring investigation and critique.

The Data Justice Lab (https://datajusticelab.org/) is a new space for research and collaboration at Cardiff University that has been established to examine the relationship between datafication and social justice. With this launch event, we ask: What does social justice mean in an age of datafication? How are data-driven processes impacting on certain communities? In what way does big data change our understanding of governance and politics? And what can we do about it?

We invite you to come and participate in this important discussion. We will be joined by the following keynote speakers:

Virginia Eubanks (New America)

Malavika Jayaram (Digital Asia Hub)

Steven Renderos (Center for Media Justice)

The event will be followed by a reception.

The launch event is free but requires pre-booking at

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/social-justice-in-an-age-of-datafication-launching-the-data-justice-lab-tickets-31849002223

More information at:
https://datajusticelab.org/2017/02/13/social-justice-in-an-age-of-datafication-launching-the-data-justice-lab/

Dr Arne Hintz

Senior Lecturer | Director MA Digital Media and Society

Co-Director Data Justice Lab

School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies | Cardiff University

Bute Building, King Edward VII Avenue | Cardiff CF10 3NB

Email: [log in to unmask] | Tel: +44 (0)29 208 76281 | Twitter: @arne_hz

Fellow | Center for Media, Data and Society | Central European University

**************************************************** This is a message from the SURVEILLANCE listserv for research and teaching in surveillance studies. To unsubscribe, please send the following message to <[log in to unmask]>: UNSUBSCRIBE SURVEILLANCE For further help, please visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help ****************************************************