From: David Hofmann <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 24 February 2017 22:59
To: Penny, William
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SPM] How to run a (1st + 2nd level) Bayesian analysis in SPM

Hello William,

after playing around a bit with bayesian analysis at the 2nd level another question arose and I hope you can help me with that once again.

Is it possible to run a bayesian analysis at the 2nd level for any kind of data? That is, for example running a two-sample t-test where the inputs are preprocessed (smoothed, nuisance regressed, standardized etc.) functional connectivity maps of some seed region instead of contrast maps from a 1st level analysis.

Thanks in advance

David

Thanks for the support Willliam!

greetings

David

Dear David,

Here are my answers to your follow-ups.

1. This is hard to quantify - there is potentially an advantage (assuming you used some form of spatial prior at the first level) - in that the regression coefficients and therefore contrasts are implicitly smoothed by a data-defined amount - and this is tuned to each regression coefficient. So the advantage, if any, would be that an optimal smoothing would have been applied. Whether this justifies the extra amount of time to fit the model is up to the user.

2. That's correct - given the connection with FDR there is no need for a multiple comparisons correction.

3. The main article to read is:

http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/doc/papers/karl_posterior.pdf

More recently we have added a new functionality for the equivalent of F-contrasts which does not require an effect size threshold. It computes log-evidence maps and you just threshold the log-odds ratio:

http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/~wpenny/publications/penny13.pdf

Best,

Will.