Dear Todd,

For what I've understood, the "normalise (estimate)" module (and also the "estimate and write" one therefore) is exactly the Segment module but set not to write out any segmented tissue class and only with default parameters. It should be identical using one or the other, as long as you're not interested in  using multi-channel segmentation, writing out segmented images or changing the number of gaussians per tissue.

Luca
Da: SPM (Statistical Parametric Mapping) <[log in to unmask]> per conto di Todd Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Inviato: giovedì 23 febbraio 2017 00.35.34
A: [log in to unmask]
Oggetto: [SPM] Confused about normalisation in tutorial dataset

Hi, all,

I'm coming from an FSL/Nipype background, but I'm trying to update
some SPM scripts from SPM5 to SPM12 and I feel like I've jumped into
the deep end.

One thing that I'm finding confusing is the way that SPM12 does
normalisation. If I follow the Face tutorial, I run the "Segmentation"
tool, then use the saved deformation field to "Normalise (Write)".

What, then, is the purpose of "Normalise (Estimate)"? Is it doing the
same thing as Segmentation? Can I save a step by doing "Normalise
(Estimate and Write)"?

Sorry for the simplicity of this question, but I'd appreciate any
that might be useful.

Thanks so much!
Todd

Rispetta l’ambiente: non stampare questa mail se non è necessario.
Respect the environment: if it's not necessary, don't print this mail.