Dear experts,

I have a question about analysing fMRI data (EPI image) collected from old people who often have cerebral atrophy.

I heard 2 approaches to deal with cerebral atrophy happened in aged brain, using deformation field to normalise images or create a average template and normalise images to MNI space by DARTEL. According SPM12 released note and some discussions in SPM Malilist ( for example, this one<https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1501&L=spm&P=R29718&1=spm&9=A&I=-3&J=on&K=2&X=78C932AE6BF141DFF8&Y=chihhao%40outlook.com&d=No+Match%3BMatch%3BMatches&z=4> ), the default Normalise and Segement use deformation field to normalise images now.

I wonder which one is a better way to normalise aged brain which often have cerebral atrophy, and the difference between these two approach.

If anyone can provide some information or advice, I'll be thankful.

Thanks for your reading.

Best regards,

Chih-Hao