Hello William,

after playing around a bit with bayesian analysis at the 2nd level another
question arose and I hope you can help me with that once again.

Is it possible to run a bayesian analysis at the 2nd level for any kind of
data? That is, for example running a two-sample t-test where the inputs are
preprocessed (smoothed, nuisance regressed, standardized etc.) functional
connectivity maps of some seed region instead of contrast maps from a 1st
level analysis.

Thanks in advance

David

> Thanks for the support Willliam!
>
> greetings
>
> David

>> Dear David,
>>

>> Here are my answers to your follow-ups.
>>

>> 1. This is hard to quantify - there is potentially an advantage (assuming
>> you used some form of spatial prior at the first level) - in that the
>> regression coefficients and therefore contrasts are implicitly smoothed by
>> a data-defined amount - and this is tuned to each regression coefficient.
>> So the advantage, if any, would be that an optimal smoothing would have
>> been applied. Whether this justifies the extra amount of time to fit the
>> model is up to the user.
>>

>> 2. That's correct - given the connection with FDR there is no need for a
>> multiple comparisons correction.
>>

>> 3. The main article to read is:
>>

>> http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/doc/papers/karl_posterior.pdf
>>

>> More recently we have added a new functionality for the equivalent of
>> F-contrasts which does not require an effect size threshold. It computes
>> log-evidence maps and you just threshold the log-odds ratio:
>>

>> http://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/~wpenny/publications/penny13.pdf
>>

>> Best,
>>

>> Will.

>>> 2.https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=SPM;41144d5.1403