Hi everybody,

I have a challenge, which some of you may be able to help me with. Prompted by the recent recovery of the Reliquary Cross from Borghorst, I have been delving into the fascinating manuscripts from Echternach, one of which is of course the so-called "Evangelistar (Perikopenbuch) Kaiser Heinrich III”.

My question is, how to translate “Evangelistar”. Following English scholars, who have written about the manuscript, it is alternating called an Evangelistary or Book of Pericopes (Grove). However, checking my library (because I wondered), I found that the proper description might perhaps be a capitulary with lectionary as the later option. The book in question, however, is obviously smaller than a proper Evangeliary. I wonder whether anyone has an idea how the German term should be properly translated.

Here is my short presentation of the manuscript in question. It has not been digitized as yet, but one of the ideas behind writing the short article is to send a mail to Bremen and prompt them in this direction.(There will be an exhibition in Goslar on another of the manuscripts this year: http://www.medievalhistories.com/henry-iii-holy-roman-emperor-1017-2017/

"Twice in his early reign (1039 – 41) Henry III visited the monastery in Echternach in present-day Luxemburg. Here, he received a gift from abbot Humbert, a beautiful evangelistary [?] produced in the scriptorium. In all probability, he later used it as a personal religious handbook. In one of the illuminations, we can see how Henry receives either a written petition or the book itself from the abbot. Perhaps it is the artist, who is peeping out from behind? In the preceding scene we see two of the workers in the scriptorium, one of whom one is obviously a lay artist, while the other is a monk. In yet another illumination we find the famous scene featuring a young and energetic king, supported by two abbots and leading a procession of his retinue, with one of his soldiers carrying his golden sword. A capitulary [?] held the selected texts or pericopes from the Gospels and was thus a kind of compact New Testament. The manuscript measures only 14.7 x 19.4 cm and has a format, which made it handy for carrying around on the incessant travels of a medieval king. Further, this was obviously not a book meant purely for reading. With its 72 scenes of which 29 fills the pages in full, the book was more than anything an instrument for personal contemplation."

I have not been able to find a proper link on the Website at Bremen Universitätsbibliothek, but the following link leads to this description: http://www.suub.uni-bremen.de/app/webroot/uploads/cms/files/Evangelistar_SuUB%20Bremen.pdf <http://www.suub.uni-bremen.de/app/webroot/uploads/cms/files/Evangelistar_SuUB%20Bremen.pdf> - there is also an article here by Gerhard Knoll, who was responsible for the facsimile edition and commentary from 1980. See Gerhard Knoll: Wanderungen und Wandlungen - Zum Echternacher Evangelistar Kaiser Heinrichs III. In: Bremisches Jahrbuch <https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bremisches_Jahrbuch> 78, 1999, S. 169–189, http://brema.suub.uni-bremen.de/periodical/pageview/54125

Hope somebody can sort this mess out?

Best, Karen
_____________________________

WWW.MEDIEVALHISTORIES.COM

Subscribe to our NEWSLETTER and
get the MEDIEVAL NEWS about exhibitions, books, research and finds

MEDIEVAL HISTORIES Inc
Paradisstien 5
DK 2840 Holte
Denmark