Hi,
a few weeks ago I asked about peoples' experiences with pop-up libraries and a lot of you were interested to see the responses which are listed below.
Best wishes,

Last year we trialled a weekly 'pop up' library in the restaurant in the main hospital building, where we'd set up a stand for 2 hours on a Wednesday lunchtime. We had very few queries or much interest and I don't think it really increased usage - we only had a few on the spot registrations. The restaurant is for staff, patients and the public. We scrapped it in the end, as it wasn't a productive use of staff time, but we did invest in a book returns box which is over in the restaurant foyer (accessible 24/7) so that staff can return books in the main hospital building (our building is a 5 minute walk away) and that does get used on a weekly basis (although sometimes we do find rubbish in it even though it quite clearly says 'Book returns box' on it!

I run two of these one for Obs and Gynae/Maternity and one for Paediatrics/Neonatology. These are moderately successful. I originally started with the paediatrics on a weekly basis but due to low usage this was decreased to every 3rd week (the length of our book issues). Obs and Gynae was started only recently and the uptake is also low. I visit the paediatrics/neonatal ward for 1.5 hrs which is a bit long really and Ob/Gynae/Maternity for 1 hr.
Doing the service takes up a reasonable amount of time due to the requirements  of selecting books, deactivating and reactivating the security tags, and reshelving the books.
In addition to offering the books, I also take requests for literature searches and any other requests for help that are needed.

Happy New Year! This isn't something we do, but I think a good service would be an "App me up" facility. Years ago a librarian told me about a Dr who came to the library and asked them to app him up, basically to load good clinical apps on his mobile technology. I don't think we should do the mechanics but I think offering a service where we could discuss and demo the key apps - I am old school so it would be UpToDate, Dynamed, BNF and Nice for starters, you may have others you recommend. It sounds more complicated than it is and also sounds fun so might lure clinicians over and you could make sure they have Athens at the same time. If you make a go of the pop up it might be worth presenting on it at the ICLC in September!!  I am about to send out a reminder re abstract submission, projects like this that are "in progress" are eligible too.

It is too early to tell whether it has increased usage, but we've certainly had a lot of interest from staff. Our Practice Development Matrons have been doing the Pop Up Library with us where possible. As the staff already know them quite well in their designated areas, most of the staff will come and talk to us when the PDMs are there. When the PDMs are not able to come with us, I find the offer of a free pen often grabs people's interest initially, then they usually start asking us questions!
We have also found it is much better to set up somewhere where there is a high flow of people walking past, rather than in an office or separate room.
In answer to your question about what to include in the service, in addition to relevant books, we take: membership forms, literature search forms, suggest a resource to purchase forms, library guides to various electronic resources, and journals guides. We also take health promotion leaflets etc. Our dementia resources have sparked a lot of interest in most areas so far.
We also take a selection of freebies and a table top noticeboard to grab people's interest, and a laptop to demonstrate electronic resources.
http://fabnhsstuff.net/2016/11/07/pop-library-boost-cpd-sherwood-forest-hospitals-foundation-trust/

[cid:image001.png@01D2877C.B5F013F0]

Liz Hunwick BA(Hons), MA, MSc, MCLIP
Library Services Manager & Clinical Librarian
Basildon Healthcare Library
Education Centre
Basildon University Hospital
Nethermayne
Basildon
Essex SS16 5NL

T: 01268 524900 Ext 8272
W: www.btuheks.nhs.uk<http://www.btuheks.nhs.uk/>

This email has been processed by the Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust email gateway.
Any executable files or known viruses have been removed.
If this message has been sent to you in error please securely discard the email, notify the sender and do not open any attachments or act on the contents.
This email may be subject to the Data Protection Act 1998, the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and other relevant acts and regulations. Unless the contents are clinically confidential or otherwise exempt they may be subject to disclosure.
We do not accept or send emails larger than 10MB.
For more information contact the IT Department, Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust on +44 1268 82 19 19