Dear Wanda

Thank you for raising this important question about the implications of
patient confidentiality in the context of a​n​ “​embedded​” Clinical
Librarian service​.​

Although I don’t have any direct experience of providing such a service, I
was interested in learning of the hospital doctors’ response to your
presentation on the topic. Perhaps there will be​ other​ colleagues ​on
LIS-MEDICAL ​who can address your question from their own experience.

Prompted by your email, I performed a free-text search in the LISA database
(Library and Information Science Abstracts), as follows: (“clinical
librarian” OR “medical librarian" OR “health librarian” OR “outreach
librarian” OR “embedded librarian”) AND confidentiality. This identified
only one reference, which wasn’t directly relevant to the clinical
librarian role. It does seem remarkable that this important question seems
largely unexplored in the professional librarianship literature.

Colleagues ​may be interested to know that I have set up a new Jiscmail
list, LIS-NHS, to provide a forum in which to discuss issues​ such as this
in more depth - issues that are specific to librar​ians​ ​working​​ within
the context of health service delivery, particularly in the NHS. This
question of patient confidentiality seems​ like one​ that needs to be
explored ​further.

To join LIS-NHS, send an email with: subscribe lis-nhs (in the body of the
email) to [log in to unmask]

Best wishes,

Nina

--