Hi all

New museums book just out:

Curiosities from the Cabinet features 36 museum objects including an ancient Babylonian tablet, a 21st-century webpage, a skeleton marionette and a colony of live ants, found in UK museums from Weston-super-Mare to the Shetland Islands. We hear over 40 people from inside and outside the museum world – curators, conservationists, visitors, users, artists – talking about these objects with knowledge, passion and even tenderness.
--
All profits to the UK museums sector. The book is available as paperback and e-book here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0995516707

with 5% off until the end of February. It’s a book for the general public (not an academic work) but should also interest museums professionals. Cover image attached.

Endorsements:
‘… the idea of the cabinet of curiosity continues to entice and surprise. This book does too.’
David Anderson, Director, National Museum Wales
‘This is both an accessible and illuminating introduction to some wonderful objects.’
Kate Arnold-Forster, Director, Museum of English Rural Life, Reading

The book is illustrated by Korean artist Minho Kwon. I hope it will help to publicise our wonderful museums and all the work that goes on inside them (although that wasn’t primarily why I wrote it).

I’m currently offering talks based on the book to museums, as part of their events or education programs – please get in touch if you’d like to discuss.
Best wishes
Rebecca Reynolds

http://objects-ofinterest.blogspot.com