From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Holly Bee [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 February 2017 14:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cost/benefit analysis of wellbeing work

Brilliant, thank you Louise!

From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 01 February 2017 13:33:44
To: Holly Bee
Cc: [log in to unmask]

H Holly,
Great work done by IMWN and Manchester Museum exploring Social Return on Investment (SROI) - putting a monetary value on the impact on wellbeing.
Danielle Garcia and Andrew Winn led on the project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbBKLMtyoxo

Louise Thompson
Learning Manager: Health and wellbeing
Manchester Art Gallery | Mosley Street | M2 3JL
Tel  +44(0)161 235 8844

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
#MAGwellbeing

www.manchesterartgallery.org

Visit Manchester Galleries' Flickr Photostream

Holly Bee <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK." <[log in to unmask]>

01/02/2017 12:38
Please respond to
Holly Bee <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Re: Cost/benefit analysis of wellbeing work

Dear Rosie,

Ah, the language of funders!

It might be worth looking into the Imperial War Museum North's work with unemployed veterans and veterans with mental health issues.  They enrolled them in training schemes to help them get back to work and had some really positive results.  Over 80% of participants said that their wellbeing was significantly improved by the scheme and it was found that for every £1 invested by the government, the country saved £3 in unemployment and medical welfare.

Nottingham Castle Museum and Art Gallery has done a lot of wellbeing work, including classes and health-related exhibitions, and Leicester's New Walk Museum runs yoga classes in the galleries to improve mental health and fitness, so they may be useful to contact too.

The Horniman Museum, London, does a lot in terms of outreach, they worked with SEN students at Brent Knoll School and found students made great progress in communication and dealing with anxiety and they helped pupils of a local primary school work through the committing of a hate crime nearby by addressing the history of such issues and helping children to express their reactions.

Really great work has been done on this by Viv Golding, Helen Chatterjee and Richard Sandell if you have time for any reading material. I'm afraid I'm recalling all these a bit vaguely, so I hope that the museums can let you know a bit more!

I would always trumpet the value of museums as uniquely immersive and reflective spaces that can have a powerful positive effect that medical or domestic environments can't replicate.  Arts have been found to have an effect called 'flow', when one's mind is relaxed but fully occupied and so senses of time, anxiety and depression are suspended.  Various psychological studies worldwide (try google scholar or Jstor?) have found that engagement with arts aids physical and mental recovery a great deal and can reduce the likelihood of reoffending when used in prisons.  Furthermore, museums have historically been providers of wellbeing, since the 18th and 19th centuries when Thomas Coram, John Ruskin and the founders of the South Kensington Museums all created museums in order to tackle the prevalence crime, substance abuse and homelessness after the industrial revolution, as well as instilling pride and optimism in visitors.  Coram's Foundling Museum still works with children suffering long-term illness or problems at home.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Best wishes,
Holly