Dear Colleagues,

I am sending this to you in case you missed our Call for Papers (apologies for cross-posting)

Call for Papers: “Living on the Edge: Transgression, Exclusion, and Persecution in the Middle Ages,” Barcelona, 17–19 May 2017.

It is widely accepted that the essence of a manuscript cannot be fully grasped without studying its marginalia. Glosses, the most medieval of techniques, sit on the margins of the text and clarify it, adding a whole new dimension to it and becoming an inextricable part of its content. Similarly, no society can be fully understood without knowledge of what lies on its margins, for the outliers of any given culture provide us with just as much information as its alleged foundational principles. In a time when the Western world ponders building walls up against perceived threats and frightening differences, it seems especially important to recall that it is mostly through tearing down walls that we learned our way forward.

The conference “Living on the Edge: Transgression, Exclusion, and Persecution in the Middle Ages” aims to address the widespread medieval phenomenon of transgression as both a result of and the cause for the exclusion and persecution of those who were considered different.

We invite papers from postgraduate and early career scholars that explore social, gender, sexual, religious, political, intellectual, and artistic transgression, as well as those that analyse the different instances of exclusion and persecution of individuals and communities in the medieval period. We welcome scholars from a range of disciplines, including history, philology, art history, philosophy, and archaeology to submit proposals for 20 minute papers.

Please email an abstract of no more than 300 words to [log in to unmask] before 31st January 2017 including your personal details (name, affiliation, and contact address).  The main language of the conference will be English but papers in Catalan, Spanish, French, Italian, and Portuguese are also welcome.

The Scientific Committee will consider all proposals and we will communicate their decision to all those who have submitted their abstracts by the end of February. The best papers presented during the conference will be selected for publication in a monograph.

The conference will also include three keynote lectures and a final round-table, as well as opportunities for networking and guided tours of some of Barcelona’s medieval landmarks.

Registration fee: 20 €

Scientific Committee

Prof. Frances Andrews (School of History – University of St Andrews)

Dr. Xavier Ballestín (IRCVM – Universitat de Barcelona)

Dr. Godefroid de Callatay (Institut des civilisations, arts et lettres – Université catholique de Louvain)

Prof. María Isabel del Val Valdivieso (Dept. of Ancient & Medieval History – Universidad de Valladolid)

Dr. Rachel Ernst (Dept. of History – Georgia State University)

Dr. Dolores Fraga Sampedro (Dept. of Art History – Universidade de Santiago de Compostela)

Prof. Blanca Garí (IRCVM – Universitat de Barcelona)

Dr. Andreu Grau (IRCVM – Universitat de Barcelona)

Prof. Milagros Guardia (IRCVM – Universitat de Barcelona)

Dr. Janine Larmon Peterson (History Department – Marist College New York)

Dr. Irene Llop (Dept. of Philology and Language & Literature Didactics – Universitat de Vic)

Dr. Ernest-Emili Marcos (IRCVM – Universitat de Barcelona)

Prof. Mosheh Orfali (Faculty of Jewish Studies – Bar Ilan University)

Dr. Rosa Rius Gatell (Dept. of Philiosophy – Universitat de Barcelona)

Dr. Roser Salicrú (Institució Milà i Fontanals – CSIC)

Dr. Marta Sancho (IRCVM – Universitat de Barcelona)

Dr. Meritxell Simó (IRCVM – Universitat de Barcelona)

Dr. Lourdes Soriano (IRCVM – Universitat de Barcelona)

Dr. David Zbíral (Dept. for the Study of Religions – Masaryk University)

Organizing Committee
Delfi I. Nieto-Isabel (IRCVM – Universitat de Barcelona)

Dr. Noemí Barrera Gómez (Universitat de Barcelona)

Jordi Casals Parés (Dept. of Greek, Latin, Romance, and Semitic Philology – Universitat de Barcelona)

Contact details
www.ub.edu/ardit

With the support of:
Institute for Research on Medieval Cultures (IRCVM – Universitat de Barcelona)
Master’s Programme in Medieval Cultures (Universitat de Barcelona)

Doctoral Programme in Medieval Cultures (Universitat de Barcelona)
Vice-Rectorate for Academic Policy, Students and Quality (Universitat de Barcelona)

Delfi I. Nieto Isabel

Dept. Història Medieval, Paleografia i Diplomàtica

Institut de Recerca en Cultures Medievals (IRCVM)

Universitat de Barcelona

Aquest correu electrònic i els annexos poden contenir informació confidencial o protegida legalment i està adreçat exclusivament a la persona o entitat destinatària. Si no sou el destinatari final o la persona encarregada de rebre’l, no esteu autoritzat a llegir-lo, retenir-lo, modificar-lo, distribuir-lo, copiar-lo ni a revelar-ne el contingut. Si heu rebut aquest correu electrònic per error, us preguem que n’informeu al remitent i que elimineu del sistema el missatge i el material annex que pugui contenir. Gràcies per la vostra col·laboració.

Este correo electrónico y sus anexos pueden contener información confidencial o legalmente protegida y está exclusivamente dirigido a la persona o entidad destinataria. Si usted no es el destinatario final o la persona encargada de recibirlo, no está autorizado a leerlo, retenerlo, modificarlo, distribuirlo, copiarlo ni a revelar su contenido. Si ha recibido este mensaje electrónico por error, le rogamos que informe al remitente y elimine del sistema el mensaje y el material anexo que pueda contener. Gracias por su colaboración.

This email message and any documents attached to it may contain confidential or legally protected material and are intended solely for the use of the individual or organization to whom they are addressed. We remind you that if you are not the intended recipient of this email message or the person responsible for processing it, then you are not authorized to read, save, modify, send, copy or disclose any of its contents. If you have received this email message by mistake, we kindly ask you to inform the sender of this and to eliminate both the message and any attachments it carries from your account. Thank you for your collaboration.