The problem with what Fraser and others like her say is that they assume, without evidence, that a mass base for proto-fascism in the US is a reaction to “neoliberalism” and (progressive) “financialization.” Actually, it’s been there all along. It definitely predates “neoliberalism.” I’m old enough to remember.

The other problem with their assumption is that “neoliberalism” and “financialization” describe processes that have been going on for decades. There’s something definitely wrong about attempts to explain Trumpism as a sudden delayed-for-decades response to that.

From: To complement the journal 'Capital and Class' (ISSN 0 309 8786) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of BYRNE, DAVE S.
Sent: Friday, January 6, 2017 6:27 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: a very interesting piece in the current context

Labour won the 1951 election on the popular vote - biggest proportion of voters for one party ever in any UK election - but we still got 13 years of the Tories.

Of course the US election system is biased but Clinton lost the mid West Rust Belt and that is why she lost the election. The counties that went for Obama last time and for Trump this time demonstrate pretty well that the New Democrats - much like New Labour in character - lost formerly unionized deindustrialized areas and hence states. The devil is in the detail

David Byrne