Hi All

At the recent HVTT14 conference John Woodroofe presented a paper titled

PERFORMANCE BASED STANDARDS ENABLING TRANSPORT DECARBONISATION (paper attached)

This paper referred to the Societal Impact on the development of PBS to improve the operation of heavy vehicle combinations for future sustainable transport

From this I raised the question of the social standing of a heavy truck driver this drew applause from the conference and a number of discussion at tea breaks from this I was encouraged to raise the issue for discussion and debate

My view is until the social respect of a heavy truck driver is lifted to that of a Regional Airline Pilot, The Master Coastal Ship, influencing policy will be difficult as the community does not have any consideration/respect  for the skills, responsibility and confidence required to operate a heavy truck combination safely and efficiently

To develop debate/ discussion I have attached a Career Path Poster to show the industry offers  a career path one of the issues parents and the community do not understand and along with this I have attached the current qualifications available to the industry

To break the implementation barrier John refers to I believe the increase of social respect of a truck driver will influence community understanding and acceptance of the need for the changes to implement the Societal Issues referred to in the paper

Societal value standards (Policy maker toolbox)

Safety (Road crash casualties)

Public health

Mobility (congestion)

Decarbonisation

Infrastructure consumption (per unit cargo)

Economic impact

Sustainability

Where to from here, this an opportunity for IFRTT to lead industry to develop the study and research of “Societal Benefits”.

Societal changes required can not be made with a few calculations, a welder, a large hammer and some spanners. It requires a different consideration of all personal aspects of the Community and the understanding of  Policy Makers and Politicians

If the Social Respect of drivers is improved, they are the face of the industry and their influence in the community would improve the acceptance of changes to enhance the development PBS to improve the operation of heavy vehicle combinations for future sustainable transport

Remember “The only delivery not made by a Truck is a Baby”

I have sent this communication by way of an email to allow for those wishing to contribute or debate the string can be followed

Kind Regards

David Rogers

TIL - Transport Investments Ltd

Mobile - 0274 434 120 | [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

330 Devon Steet East, New Plymouth

Transport Investments Ltd

NEW ZEALAND OWNED | NEW ZEALAND WIDE
NATIONAL & INTERNATIONAL LOGISTICS

Attention:
This e-mail is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient please delete the message and notify the sender. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author.

Scanned by MailMarshal - Marshal8e6's comprehensive email content security solution.