Hi Gemmers

Thank you for those of you who suggested a couple of props (seashells, removing your glasses) and reminded me that all you need to do is to get participants to shut their eyes.....

So this is what we are going to do:

Lead participants through 3 types of urban area: residential, semi-natural, commercial and ask each to undertake 3 enquiries: a) listen to themselves and others b) listen to their surroundings c) search for sounds

We are going to ask them to consider individual sounds - including  source, distance, duration, intensity, rhythm - and what these sounds tell them and how they make them feel - whether they are unexpected or familiar and or evoke memory.  And we are also going to ask them to consider the soundscape - their perception of the acoustic environment that surrounds them and that to which their presence contributes - using 8 adjectives.

And we are using blindfolds, ear defenders, seashells and stethoscopes....

Not a digital bit of tech within a mile...roll on analog

Best, Andrew