From: Shital Lakkha [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 10 October 2016 10:19
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Mental Maps of Pre-Colonial Bengal - by Dr Richard David Williams

Mental Maps of Pre-Colonial Bengal - by Dr Richard David Williams

Monday 10 October 2016, 6.30-8.30pm. Lab 2, Idea Store Whitechapel, 321 Whitechapel Road, London E1 1BU

 <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=298662523842690&set=a.113449065697371.1073741829.100010968338203&type=3>

 <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=298662523842690&set=a.113449065697371.1073741829.100010968338203&type=3> Image removed by sender. No automatic alt text available.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/mental-maps-of-pre-colonial-bengal-by-dr-richard-david-williams-tickets-27741699169

Although cartography was limited in South Asia before the eighteenth century, many early modern literary texts provide rich descriptions of landscapes and routes covered on specific journeys. When poets explored their local surroundings or the wider world through verse, the distance between points on the imagined map proved extremely subjective. Each writer had an idiosyncratic sense of a significant geography and carved out their own landscape, highlighting certain sites important to them and occluding others.

What can these literary, imagined maps tell us about pre-colonial Bengal, and how Bengalis understood the world around them? Using an eighteenth-century travelogue cum pilgrimage record, the Tirthamangal, as my starting point, I will consider the different, overlapping geographies that stemmed from Bengal before the region was re-imagined under colonialism.

Dr Richard David Williams is a Leverhulme Early Career Fellow in the Faculty of Oriental Studies at the University of Oxford. He researches the cultural history of early modern and colonial north India, with particular interests in theology, literature, and music.

BENGAL HISTORY WEEK

8-16 OCTOBER 2016

Brick Lane Circle’s is organising its Seventh Annual Bengal History Week during 8-16 October 2016, which aims to help generate greater levels of interest on the learning of the history of Bengal.

For details please email [log in to unmask] or phone 07914119282

Image removed by sender.

--

M Ahmedullah

Secretary

Brick Lane Circle

w:  www.bricklanecircle.org
e:  [log in to unmask]
f:   http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=8966253245
t:   http://twitter.com/BrickLaneCircle
m: 07914119282

Please reply with 'unsubscribe' if you no longer wish to be on our mailing list