Dear colleagues,

*With apologies for cross-posting*

I'm delighted to announce news of the return of the History of Pre-Modern Medicine seminar series.

The 2016-17 series - organised by a group of historians of medicine based at London universities and hosted by the Wellcome Library - will commence with four seminars in the autumn term.

PROGRAMME FOR AUTUMN 2016

Tuesday 11 October 2016: Dr Erin Sullivan<http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/staff/profiles/shakespeare/sullivan-erin.aspx> (University of Birmingham), 'The melancholy earl: emotion, medicine and the body in 17th-century England'

Tuesday 25 October 2016: Professor Luke Demaitre (University of Virginia), 'Disfiguring disease in medical and popular perceptions: "aspectus" and "spectaculum"'

Tuesday 8 November 2016: Dr Tara Alberts<https://www.york.ac.uk/history/staff/profiles/alberts/> (University of York), 'Miraculous medicines and exotic rituals: European healers in southeast Asian royal courts in the 17th century'

Tuesday 22 November 2016: Dr Elaine Leong<https://www.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/en/users/eleong> (Max Planck Institute, Berlin), 'Paper, medicine and everyday technologies in the early modern household'

All seminars will take place in the Wellcome Library, 183 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.

Doors at 6pm prompt, seminars will start at 6.15pm.

The programme for January-March 2016 will follow in the new year.

Organising Committee: Elma Brenner (Wellcome Library), Michael Brown (Roehampton), Elena Carrera (QMUL), Sandra Cavallo (RHUL), John Henderson (Birkbeck, London), William MacLehose (UCL, convenor), Anna Maerker (KCL), Patrick Wallis (LSE), Ronit Yoeli-Tlalim (Goldsmiths, convenor).

For more details, see: http://blog.wellcomelibrary.org/2016/09/history-of-pre-modern-medicine-seminar-series-2016-17/

With best wishes,

Ross

Ross MacFarlane
Research Engagement Officer
Wellcome Library

T +44 (0)20 7611 7340
F +44 (0)20 7611 8369
@wellcomelibrary

Wellcome Trust
215 Euston Road
London NW1 2BE, UK

www.wellcomelibrary.org<http://www.wellcomelibrary.org/>

Wellcome Library is part of Wellcome

Wellcome exists to improve health for everyone by helping great ideas to thrive. We're a global charitable foundation, both politically and financially independent. We support scientists and researchers, take on big problems, fuel imaginations and spark debate.

The Wellcome Trust is a charity registered in England and Wales, no. 210183. Its sole trustee is The Wellcome Trust Limited, a company registered in England and Wales, no. 2711000 (whose registered office is at 215 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, UK)

This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Email Security - www.websense.com