Hi,

I thought our latest course might be of interest to list members.

Best wishes,

Steph

Digital Preservation Training Programme is pleased to announce the date of a new course, ‘DPTP: Web Archiving 101' to be delivered on 17th October 2016.

Course Overview

This course is aimed at anyone who has a specific interest in capturing, selecting and using web content for any kind of research and who also need to ensure that web content can persist and endure in an accessible and useable preservation environment.

The course will cover the basics of digitisation, from the initial planning through project management to protecting and preserving the resulting digital assets for the long term. It explores preparation, project management, equipment/outsourcing, workflows and policies. It will also look at metadata, copyright and licensing, and managing access to the digitised content.

The course will cover -

1.                  The context: who does web archiving?

2.                  Why archive the web at all?

3.                  How to select what to preserve

4.                  How do we go about it? Crawling, storing & rendering

5.                  Do we have to do this ourselves? Outsourcing options in public & private sectors

Course Tutors

Dr Peter Webster, formerly Web Archiving Engagement & Liaison Manager for the British Library UK Web Archive and also Programme & Communications Officer for the International Internet Preservation Consortium and currently Managing Director of Webster Research & Consulting.

Ed Pinsent, former web archiving curator for the Jisc, member of the project teams for the PoWR and BlogForever projects, currently Senior Archivist at ULCC and tutor on the DPTP.

Sara Day Thomson, social media researcher for the Digital Preservation Coalition (DPC).

Steph Taylor, digital librarian with a wide experience of copyright and legal issues in the digital domain as applied to libraries, archives & institutional repositories, currently Senior Consultant at ULCC and a tutor on the DPTP.

Who should attend?

Next Steps