Hi Melissa,

I have worked at the University of Glasgow Photographic Unit for 23 years, managing it for the last 11 years. Happy to get involved.

stephen

Stephen McCann

Head of Photographic and Print Units

Glasgow University Photographic Unit

Level 2

The Library

Hillhead Street

University of Glasgow

G12 8QE

Scotland, UK

Tel: +44(0)141 330 8373

Web: www.tinyurl.com/guphotounit

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/library/aboutthelibrary/printunit/

From: "AHFAP, for image professionals in the UK cultural heritage sector" <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Melissa Terras <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, 30 September 2016 at 11:02
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: When were your Photographic Studios set up – and why?

Dear AHFAP Colleagues,

I’m doing a little research just now into the establishment of photographic studios within Galleries, Libraries, Archives, and Museums. Although there has been a lot written about some activity in the British Museum (Robert Fenton, etc) and the V&A, I’m wondering about the spread of photography throughout other institutions, and also, the growth in the photographic industry around this, such as capture of objects for auction sales and insurance purposes.

I’m interested in any insights you have – any tales to tell, any pointers to previous sources that have talked about the setting up of institutional studios, who was behind it, what kind of work they first did, and what kind of kit they invested in, any archival material you’d care to share. When were your photographic studios set up, and why? I’m more than happy to do any legwork, but wondered what stories you have that haven’t been captured elsewhere.

This is preparatory work I’m doing for my next book, which will be on the long history of copying cultural heritage. I’m still scoping this out, and I thought, who best to ask, but the AFHAP folks. Happy to discuss off list if you have any questions: I did check before sending this to the list and it was suggested that others may also be interested in hearing background stories.

Best

Melissa

--

————————