Greetings to all!

I am working on Isabel of Villena’s Vita Christi text from the late fifteenth century. In her presentation on the Harrowing of Hell, she provides her readers chapters on Judith and Esther from the Old Testament.

My question concerns whether these two women appear in many other medieval texts and in what context?

What I have found so far is that Judith is a model for modesty (pudicitia), chastity and humility. Esther is a model of intercession and her enthronement as queen was seen as a prefigurement of the coronation of the Virgin Mary. Is there anything more that is said about them in the middle ages?

Thanks!

Steve

Steven J. McMichael, OFM Conv.

Theology Department

University of Saint Thomas

Saint Paul, MN USA

University of St. Thomas : All for the Common Good