I don't think it can be used to prove that "A" is better than "B", but rather than "A" is effective (on it's own). In theory, if the effect of "A" and "B" are independent of each other then in a trial of "A + B" vs. "B" one would be able to extrapolate the isolated effect of "A" (assuming there are no other confounding factors). Making an assumption that "A" is better than "B" in this case cannot be made.

Ahmed

________________________________
From: Evidence based health (EBH) <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Ted Harding <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 3, 2016 9:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: A +B versus B design, acupunture and more

In how many trials has "A+B better than B" led to a claim that
"A is better than B"?

Such a conclusion is clearly illogical. Counter-example:

  Condition being treted: Gut infection with E. Coli.
  Treatment A: Improve diet
  Treatment B: Administer antibiotics

Clearly an appropriately improved diet could enhance/accelerate
the effect of antibiotics on cure of the infection, so A+B is
better than B alone. But merely improving the diet (A) is almost
certain to be less effective than administering the antiobiotic (B).
So "A+B better than B" does not imply "A better than B", and any
study which made such a claim solely on the basis of that "logic"
is clearly arguing illogically, and should never get past reviewers.

So is that illogic a real issue in published studies (perhaps
especially of acupuncture and the like)? Or is the cited article
making a meaningless fuss? Or what?

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

On 03-Aug-2016 08:28:25 Juan Gérvas wrote:
> Acupuntura (y otros tratamientos). Diseño de ensayo clínico que lleva a
> resultados positivos.
> *Acupunture (and others treatment). A trial design that generates only
> ''positive'' results.*
> In recent years, we have seen a plethora of RCTs adopting a design  where
> patients are randomized to receive either usual care (the control  group)
> or usual care plus the experimental treatment. Schematically this  design
> could be depicted as 'A + B versus B'. At first glance, such  comparisons
> may seem reasonable. However, on closer inspection, doubts  emerge
> regarding whether such RCTs are fair scientific tests of the  experimental
> intervention. These doubts originate from the theoretical  view that 'A
> plus B' will invariably amount to more than 'B' alone. Even  in cases where
> treatment A is a pure placebo, its placebo and other  nonspecific effects
> could lead to a better outcome in the experimental  group than in the
> control group. This would be particularly likely if i)  the experimental
> treatment is associated with sizable nonspecific  effects, ii) a subjective
> outcome measure is used, and iii) the  experimental intervention 'A' causes
> a deterioration of the condition  being treated.
> http://www.jpgmonline.com/article.asp?issn=0022-3859;year=2008;volume=54;issue

Page Not Found : Journal of Postgraduate Medicine: Free full text articles from JPGM, India, an indexed medical periodical <http://www.jpgmonline.com/article.asp?issn=0022-3859;year=2008;volume=54;issue>
www.jpgmonline.com
Indexed peer-reviewed biomedical periodical of Staff Society of Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital, India, with free access to full-text since 1990.

> =3
> ;spage=214;epage=216;aulast=Ernst
>
> *Effectiveness of acupuncture for the prevention of episodic migraine.
> Cochrane. NNTB of 4.*
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27351677?dopt=Abstract
> -un saludo juan gérvas @JuanGrvas

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 03-Aug-2016  Time: 10:11:30
This message was sent by XFMail