Dear Walkers,

As part of Tim Knowles' project Exploration Aids, we are organising a two
day event Gimme Shelter, where we will explore one of our most basic of
needs, shelter.

Tim has been developing a network of constructed howffs, shelters and aids.
They are designed to promote access and exploration in the outdoors -
without overprovision - between the market town of Huntly and Braemar, in
the Cairngorm Mountains. With an interest in shelter and human
resourcefulness, Tim hopes to encourage new types of relationships between
the 'explorers' and the landscape, assisted by the artist's constructions.

/ Bushcraft Workshop Sat 23 July

A 24-hour intensive shelter building workshop, with overnight camp. An
opportunity to learn basic shelter building techniques using both tarpaulins
and materials found on site. Other activities will include practicing fire
by friction, basic knife safety and carving, a group meal around the
campfire, and a breakfast with tidy-up on Sunday, supporting the 'leave no
trace' ethos.

Led by Amara Woodland Croft and Bushcraft Ventures, former Ray Mears
instructor with over sixteen years in survival skills training.

/ Gimme Shelter Symposium Sun 24 July, 12pm - 5pm

Hosted in a temporary 'off-grid' structure, designed and constructed by Tim
Knowles using onsite lumber and tarpaulin, this symposium aims to examine
social relationships with landscape and shelter, self-sufficient living,
survival, rewilding, land management and Scottish access rights.

Joining us will be Karen Grant from Reforesting Scotland's A Thousand Huts
Campaign, Rachel Hunt who is writing a PhD exploring the practice, heritage
and culture of 'out-dwellings' in rural Scotland at  Glasgow University,
landscape archaeologist Colin Shepherd, more tba shortly. With food by the
Rhynie Woman.

http://www.deveron-arts.com/events/gimme-shelter-symposium/

Claudia Zeiske
Director | Deveron Arts

Brander Museum, The Square, Huntly, Aberdeenshire AB54 8BR

Tel: 0044 (0)1466 794494 |  <http://www.deveron-arts.com/>
www.deveron-arts.com  <http://www.walking-institute.com/>
www.walking-institute.com

Exploration Aids 23-24 July I Walking Institute at Edinburgh Arts Festival
12-13 August