Dear Maaly and Rouhollah,

given that you are using SPM12, the simplest would be to change
spm_defaults.m line 49 such that it reads:
  defaults.mat.format = '-v7.3';
or, better, create a file called spm_my_defaults.m in your MATLAB path
containing:
  global defaults
  defaults.mat.format = '-v7.3';

Also, note that, if you have already specified first-level models for
each subject (i.e. you have individual SPM.mat files), then you can
create a fixed-effect model automatically with the batch module:
  SPM > Stats > Mixed-effects (MFX) analysis > FFX Specification
(provided all subjects have the same number of parameters for each session).

Best regards,
Guillaume.

--
Guillaume Flandin, PhD