Dear Frances and Falk,

the SPM machinery has been updated years ago to deal with surface-based
analyses (mass univariate GLM on vertices + RFT) and this is available
in SPM12 provided you have data and mesh available as GIfTI files. The
relevant SPM functions accept both volume-based NIfTI and surface-based
GIfTI data. The CAT toolbox relies on these core functionalities for
some of their statistical analyses.

You might also be interested in Keith Worsley's SurfStat:
  http://www.math.mcgill.ca/keith/surfstat/

Best regards,
Guillaume.

--