Hi all,

Been following the list for a while, first time post. A colleague of mine
and I are putting together a panel for SCMS, which is in Chicago in the
spring of 2017. We think that the issues that we'll be dealing with on this
panel might be of interest to some and it would be wonderful to have a
paper or two on how such things affect the exhibition and preservation of
New Media art and objects.

Please find all the info below.

Best,

Skot Deeming.

Black Boxes, Walled Gardens: Political Economies of Copyright and Rights
Management Technologies.

Panel Summary:

The history of digital media and consumer electronics is rife with the
development of proprietary systems of control and legal protocols which
delimit, dictate and alter our relationships to media consumption. From the
origins of Western intellectual property law, through ongoing legislative
alterations and interventions, to the recent acceleration of algorithmic
approaches to the flow of cultural products and the limitations put on
their use and circulation, we are witness to an unprecedented rise in
contemporary techniques and strategies for rights management; birthing new
means and methods of control and circumvention in accessing
information--and culture.

This panel seeks to interrogate these historical shifts and cultural modes,
examining approaches to rights management across media and asking questions
about key political economic issues within copyright and rights management
technologies across media. From Macrovision to software DRM, we wish to
develop our understanding of the differences between copyright, licensing,
and the material conditions of media circulation across digital and analog
platforms, and further construct the conversation around how end users bend
their tribal understandings of intellectual property and fair use to their
own ends.

We invite abstract proposals for papers that address and expand upon work
being done on the following topics:

   -

   Practices of rights management on social media platforms

   -

   Cultures and techniques of piracy and bootlegging
   -

   Circulation both official and illicit
   -

   Political Economies of firmware
   -

   Niche communities and approaches to intellectual property
   -

   Copyleft and creative commons licensing
   -

   Legal approaches to media circulation
   -

   The materiality of media in rights management
   -

   Fair use and fair dealing
   -

   YouTube and takedown notices
   -

   DMCA and TPP: implications and impacts
   -

   Open source and open access
   -

   Rights holder responses to participatory culture

Please send abstracts of 250 words accompanied by a 100-word bio and
partial bibliography to [log in to unmask] by August 5th, 2016.
12th.  Final panel proposal will be submitted to SCMS by August 31st. The
conference will be held March 22-26, 2017, in Chicago, Illinois.

Copyright, Digital Rights Management, Liscensing, Digital Media, New Media.

Partial Panel Bibliography:

Coombe, Rosemary, Darren Wershler, and Martin Zeilinger. Dynamic Fair
Dealing: Creating Canadian Culture Online. Toronto: U of T Press, 2013.

Murray, Laura J., S. Tina Piper, and Kirsty Robertson. Putting Intellectual
Property in Its Place: Rights Discourses, Creative Labour, and the Everyday.
New York, NY: Oxford University Press, 2014.

Guertin, Carolyn. Digital Prohibition: Piracy and Authorship in New Media.
New York, NY: Bloomsbury Academic. 2012.
skot deeming, aka mrghosty

http://www.mrghosty.com
h <http://www.teamvector.tumblr.com>ttp://www.vectorfestival.org