It's pretty well-established. Carries the implication that whoever is being "presentist" sees the world from an almost solely contemporary perspective -- I encounter it often, for instance, in reading the Rule of St Benedict and seeing students outraged over the fact that Benedict can think it perfectly reasonable to beat boys who fail in some respect, something that would never enter my head as someone raised in the 70s. Also of course in teaching women's history one endlessly encounters outrage at the limited choices and power available to women. The theme is always: what we do now is the best, and if it hasn't always been this way it should have been. For a Brit teaching in the US, presentist attitudes are complicated by the "what America does is best" syndrome.

Sue