I've heard this, too, and I suppose it's true, but the Society itself does
not seem to make this claim. Perhaps it's in the famous essay by David
Knowles in *Great Historical Enterprises *(1963), which I don't have at
hand.

The publication of *Acta Sanctorum* was ended but not really completed
(saints of November partial, those of December missing), as the Bollandists
judged that the work would be better continued in more modern and flexible
forms. Here is what they say on their own website:

The history of *Acta Sanctorum* is part of the history of the Bollandists
> themselves.  With the first volume published in 1643 and the latest in 1940
> (the work remains incomplete) this is one of the longest, and greatest,
> scientific and editorial enterprises of all times.
>     The vagaries of history (wars, revolutions, and even the suppression
> of the Society of Jesus) have made it practically impossible to find a
> complete original edition of the *Acta Sanctorum* (67 volumes in-folio)
> for sale.
>     True, a private publisher did reprint the *Acta* at Venice between
> 1734 and 1760 – in part – and the Parisian editor Palmé brought out a new
> edition between 1863 and 1870 – also incomplete, and not without certain
> defects (see Synopsis of the three editions of *Acta Sanctorum* )
>      A reprint of the first 60 volumes of the original edition was
> published from 1966 to 1971.  Although the complete collection is not
> available any longer, some volumes are still available from Brepols
> Publishers.  The general Indices for the months January to October, the
> Auctaria Octobris, the six volumes of November and the Propylaeum of
> December are still available from the Bollandists, either in the original
> edition or in reprint.
>     Single volumes of the editions published in Antwerp (original edition,
> since 1643), Venice (1734-1760) and Paris (1863-1870) are also available
> from the Bollandists.
>     Acta Sanctorum Database is a complete digital version of the original
> edition of the *Acta Sanctorum *published by ProQuest and accessible
> online.

         http://www.bollandistes.org/publications.php?pg=acta-sanctorum

-- Paul

--
Paul Chandler, O.Carm.
Holy Spirit Seminary  |  PO Box 18 (487 Earnshaw Road)  |  Banyo Qld 4014
 |  Australia
office: (07) 3267 4804  |  mobile: 044 882 4996