From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2016 9:48 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] FEAST - A Saint for the Day (July 11): St. Benedict of Nursia and Montecassino

One I had meant to include (but forgot):

Benedict as depicted (at lower right in the panel at upper right) in an earlier fourteenth-century pictorial menologion from Thessaloniki (betw. 1322 and 1340; Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Gr. th. f. 1, fol. 31v):
http://image.ox.ac.uk/images/bodleian/msgrthf1/31v.jpg

In the originally tenth-century Synaxary of Constantinople Benedict has the first entry under 14. March.  Modern Byzantine-rite churches celebrate him on that day.

Best again,
John Dillon