He was a lovely, devoted man, and also had a fine dry sense of humor.   I recall at some event celebrating the Encyclopedia, I think, he read with dead-pan wit a never-to-be-published but very funny entry on "Marx & Spenser."  The laborious steady light and kind attention he and Don Cheney (especially) put into editing articles for the SE over so many years was remarkable.

Ken